Saturday, August 27, 2011

Rainbow Before the Storm


Along with pretty much the rest of the east coast of the US, we're preparing for hurricane Irene today. The first bands of rain are already sweeping across my area; we had a glimpse of sun early this morning but soon huge ugly clouds rolled in, threatening everybody who was out running last-minute errands (like me).

We're expecting loss of power tonight and maybe for a few days, which means no internet connection either.  So right now I'm cooking a big pot of stew to hold us over; tonight we'll have a fun board game night by candle or flashlight. I'm also not planning on heading outside much until about Monday, although at that point I hope to go check Lake Frank for possible hurricane birds-- seabirds blown in by the winds perhaps, or migrants forced to land for safety.  Don't worry, I won't be heading out til it's safe.

But until then, I just wanted to post some of the brilliant colors I found at Lake Frank this week.  Enjoy, and stay safe if you're in the hurricane's path!

Red
Partridge Berries.

Orange (well, barely, but a pretty cool encounter anyway!)
Copperhead snake in the middle of the trail. I obliviously walked right over it, joggers behind me noticed it when it feinted at them and mock-rattled its tail. We nudged it gently off the trail after I got this photo. I'm so excited to have finally seen one!

Yellow
Beetles and bees were loving this bright goldenrod.

Green
Poison ivy berries-- they'll be white when ripe. A good food source for lots of animals (who aren't allergic like we are). Did you know poison ivy is in the same family as cashews? Hmm, tasty.

Blue
Heal-all (Prunella vulgaris), introduced and probably invasive-- it's in the mint family. Cute little flowers though.

Purple
Burdock, also introduced. Edible though-- I've actually eaten burdock at a local vegetarian restaurant. Pretty tasty.
Hope all the wildlife finds safe shelter through the storm.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finally seeing your Copperhead! My first sighting was special to me as well, although my family thinks I'm insane for enjoying seeing such dangerous critters.

    I had no idea poison ivy was related to cashews!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Widget