Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Winter Flowers

Well, it's been a while since my last post. For those of you who've been wondering, I'm ok, just busy. I'm still in grad school and also got a part-time job this spring. The spring semester just finished, though, so I have a bit of free time at last. Woo-hoo!

As I've mentioned in past entries, this winter was significantly milder than usual. But still, come January and February I was aching for bright flowers. Brookside Gardens to the rescue! The Winter Garden at Brookside Gardens is an outdoor bed that holds lots of super-early blooming flowers. This year apparently things bloomed a couple weeks earlier than usual, but I wasn't complaining!

Japanese flowering apricot (January 14)

Hellebore (January 14)

Witch Hazel (February 10)

Pussywillow!! (February 10)

Winter Aconite (February 10)
Admittedly, few of these early bloomers are native to our area, but sometimes any flower will do!

Today's site: Brookside Gardens, Wheaton MD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget