Sunday, May 20, 2018

Merganser Mama

Update: We went back to the C & O Canal a month later, and found a huge group of about 40 half-grown Common Mergansers, probably including the ducklings from this family. So of course, I wrote about them again.
  
Victor & I went hiking along the C & O Canal recently. My main intent had been to snag a bunch more new bird species for my year list, since spring migration is in full swing. I was indeed successful-- warblers and other songbirds were singing everywhere. I can't identify every one by call, but I was able to recognize several, and managed to confirm a few others I wasn't sure about by using the Merlin app from Cornell Lab of Ornithology. (This is a great field app, I highly recommend it! I have a post in the works about how I use it, so stay tuned.)

But in addition to the Indigo Buntings, Blackpoll Warblers, Yellow Warblers, Red-eyed Vireos, and Yellow-billed Cuckoos that I logged on eBird that morning, I finally was able to check off a longtime birding bucket list item: seeing a Merganser carrying her babies on her back! I knew mergansers do this sometimes, as do loons and grebes, but I'd never observed it in the wild. Now I have!

When we first entered the trail at Seneca Creek, Victor immediately pointed out a female Common Merganser paddling toward the Potomac. I trained my binoculars on her and discovered she was trailed by several little babies! In fact, one of those babies had already climbed on her back for a break. Victor & I took turns snapping lots and lots of photos as she hustled toward the larger body of water.  As she swam along, more and more of her babies clambered on her back. SO CUTE! Even though I also saw my first ever Magnolia Warbler that morning, the mergansers were still the highlight of the trip.


Not all of our photos came out-- it was pretty humid and misty out, and that gave the camera a bit of difficulty focusing, I think.  But here are a few of the better ones. Enjoy!

Female Common Merganser swims along with one spotted duckling on her back and six more paddling behind.
One baby is riding comfy on the middle of mama's back. Everybody else is hustling to keep up.

Female Common Merganser swims along, with three fuzzy ducklings riding on her back and four paddling behind.
Now three babies have made it onboard.


Female Common Merganser swims on still, gray water, with four fuzzy ducklings riding on her back and three more behind.
Four babies are on her back at this point, with a couple still paddling madly along.

Female Common Merganser swims away into the mist, with seven fuzzy ducklings riding cozily on her back.
Finally, all seven babies are tucked up on top of Mama.  So off she goes into the Potomac. Farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widget